Tuesday, February 07, 2012

What I Found Appreciative Yesterday!

I’m late and have a list of to-do’s that would give a dead man a heart attack. Walking through the double doors of the local Post Office I noticed a line of people. Patiently I waited, a woman behind me spoke to me asking for the location of an area insurance company. While I did not know the location, based on our discussion I offered a few guesses and during this time I am thinking one thing – just let me out of here! As it becomes my turn to be waited on by the postal clerk, the woman asks if she can go in front of me.

AppStratPhoto-PostageStamp

Shocked and using some (almost) sarcasm I said “sure go ahead.” In my mind I was thinking – what could possibly be more important than my problems. I regrouped and accepted that my honoring of her request was the appreciative thing to do. As the woman asked the postal clerk for the location she mentioned that she must find the insurance company because her mother had just passed away and she needed to settle her affairs. I was humbled and internally embarrassed with the thought of how insignificant my rush to get out of the Post Office was compared to what this woman must be feeling. I offered more assistance while the other ten persons waiting in line were quiet and frozen in time as if it were a scene from the movie - The Matrix. Satisfied with the directions and location the woman proceeded to exit the Post Office. As I stepped to the counter the postal clerk dropped her shoulders and arms, looked at me with a bright smile and said, “you are so nice and so congenial - that poor woman” the clerk processed my mail, and thanked me no less than three times. Being appreciative – it’s the right thing to do!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 AM

    It is indeed possible to be appreciative, as in compassionate, showing concern for others, while simultaneously feeling inconvenienced and unappreciative of the disruption of your plans.

    Dennis has identified an important aspect of daily life - the constant need to make choices. Each choice we make will open or close doors exposing or concealing opportunity. Too often, we value our territory (place in line) far more than it is really worth.

    By surrendering even small parts of ourselves, we can encounter opportunities unimaginable. How many times do we long for a positive word or affirmation – from anybody? When Dennis stepped aside for the lady he opened the door for postal clerk to witness his appreciative act.

    When I encounter exceptional positive service – from any provider – I will go out of my way to deliver an "ATTA-BOY/GIRL" to the individual's boss. Here's why.

    If I get lousy service from “Barnie” I complain, at least in part, so that Barnie will be trained to deliver better service on your next visit. Some may complain so that Barnie will be dinged by his boss.

    To me, it makes even more sense to say to the boss "Suzie delivered an outstanding service experience. That is the quality of service all employees should emulate." Everybody wins, the boss is not predisposed to "ding" anyone, rather he will hold Suzie's performance up and Barnie and his coworkers can learn from her example. Everyone comes out feeling good – even me.

    Do not help someone in hopes of personal gain, rather help someone in hopes of making their life better, easier, more rewarding. Doing so will open more doors than you can imagine.


    Gil Longwell
    MeetingwithSuccess@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts and comments! Sometimes it is the simple things in life that provide us with the most reward!

    ReplyDelete