Monday, August 13, 2012

What You Expect

Do you get what you expect? Sometimes we get exactly what we expect.

BetterJob01

Consider the outcomes for persons who may make one of the following statements:

  • I just want to pass the test.
  • I don’t care what I do as long as I have a job.
  • I can’t lose any weight.

Certainly not everyone wants to, or will be, the top performer in any particular situation, but those who strive for more often get more. Their expectations are supported by their efforts, they achieve more or reach a higher standard because they expect more. It is easy to say we want more, or wish we had done better, but often our own expectations guide the level of result that we achieve.

Another look:

  • If I complete all the assigned work and study hard I will get an “A” on the test.
  • If I learn more, work hard, and gain additional experience I will advance to a higher position at work.
  • If I exercise more and avoid my cravings for apple pie I will lose at least 3 pounds this month.

Our expectations condition the outcomes. Positive and results driven thoughts are what make the difference between those who dream of more, and those who achieve more.

Are you getting what you expect?

 

- DEG

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 AM

    Your negative reaction/response will empower someone to validate your expectations.

    "He said he'd fail and sure enough, he did."

    Disappoint your critics and adversaries. Think and act positively.

    Gil Longwell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power of thought and more importantly a suggestion of the power of positive thinking! Thank you for your great comment!

      Delete